Experiment #18: Salt and Sugar Scrubs



I have a sister who is really into the whole beauty products, fancy salt scrubs and candles self-care thing. I like those things too, but I don't seek them out. I just gladly take them when they are given to me. I have much to learn about taking care of myself, it seems.

I decided that I would make my a sort of self care kit for Christmas. I made a list of items I wanted to include for her, and planned to make all of them myself. I realized, however, that I never buy these products for myself and certainly haven't made them before. I did make a salt scrub once. Years ago. And when I made that salt scrub, a friend handed me all of the ingredients and told me exactly what to do. 

I set out into the world of salt and sugar scrubs again, this time on my own. And let me tell you, this project was easy. So easy. Totally foolproof easy. I read one blog on which the author said she let her five year old help.

After reading a number of posts on how to make salt scrubs and sugar scrubs, I came to the conclusion that there are general guidelines to follow, but not exact rules as long as you stick to the right ingredients. Here's a few of the websites I read over:
Pinterest or a search of the knowledgeable Internet will lead you to plenty of other ideas, and I do advise searching for your favorites.You can mix a wide variety of essential oils and other ingredients for scents, as long as you have the salt or sugar and oil.

Step One: Gather Ingredients

  • salt or sugar (coarse sea salt seems to be most recommended)
  • olive oil 
  • essential oils (and vanilla extract, depending on what scents you want)
  • Wide mouthed jar
I ordered essential oils for the first time! I have no idea what the best ones are, but I got a box that had some variety so I could try out different ones. I ended up using lavender, rosemary, peppermint, and vanilla extract. 

You can find recipes for a lot of other versions, including recipes that use coffee, lemon, coconut...just about anything, it seems. 

Step Two: Mix Salt (or Sugar) Scrub 

Stir in the olive oil and then stir in the essential oils. Then put the whole thing in a jar. (Seriously, that's it). You may decorate the jar if you wish. I tied a twine bow around all of the ones that I made, and added a tag with the ingredients and directions written on it.

The Verdict on this project

This project was the easiest project I have tested so far, but how much money did I save? All prices are calculated for one cup of body scrub. I also had to buy jars (although I did recycle a jar I already had). I managed to find the others in 4 packs, so that each jar cost about $1.50 but was too big for one cup of body scrub. I had some trouble finding jars in stores. I recommend you find them online. 

Total cost of one cup of salt scrub: $1.67-2.95

Course Sea Salt: $1.99 for 22 ounces; about $0.81 for 1 cup 
1/2 cup olive oil: $8.99 for 17 ounces; about $2.12 for 1/2 cup
Sub store brand olive oil: $3.49 for 16.9 ounces; about $0.83 for 1/2 cup
Essential Oils: $21.99 for a set of 9 oils; about $2.44 per bottle; about $0.03 1 cup of body scrub

Total cost of one cup of sugar scrub: $1.22- $2.58

Sugar: $2.89 for 4 lb store brand; about $0.36 for 1 cup 
Sub brown sugar: $1.99 for 2 lb store brand; $0.43 for 1 cup 
1/2 cup olive oil: $8.99 for 17 ounces; about $2.12 for 1/2 cup
Sub store brand olive oil: $3.49 for 16.9 ounces; about $0.83 for 1/2 cup
Essential Oils: $21.99 for a set of 9 oils; about $2.44 per bottle; about $0.03 1 cup of body scrub

Alright, but how much would it cost to buy a similar product in a store? 

The answer varies depending on the brand and the amount, but the answer is, it turns out, a lot more. 

Here's a sampling of what I found when I searched the Internet for sugar and salt scrubs I could purchase. 

ULTA Fig and Honey Exfoliating Body Scrub, 8 oz: $6.00 
Oxalis Apothecary Sea Salt Body Scrub, 6 oz: $26.00
Art Naturals Himalayan Salt Scrub, 20 oz: $8.95
ULTA Luxe Smooth Exfoliating Body Scrub, 8 oz: $19.50 

I saw items as low as the $6.00 I found here, and as pricey as $85.00. Each has a range of ingredients from simple to rather fancy sounding. My homemade body scrub is on the simple end. It doesn't contain vitamin e or Dead Sea Salt or fancy oils, and I won't claim that it will detox you (whatever that means). It does, however, cost a lot less than most of the store bought ones I found, and has a wonderful scent just like the store bought versions, while exfoliating and moisturizing, just like the store bought versions. I'll be happy to stick to my homemade version! You'll have to decide how many fancy ingredients you want when deciding to purchase or make your own, or when deciding to what to buy to put into your own body scrubs. 

After making a few of these for family members, I added one to my own bathroom counter. I'll keep refilling it, and maybe make a few more. I hope you enjoy some homemade salt or sugar scrubs as well! 


Comments