Experiment #9: Making a Skirt

The advantages of being able to make any clothing for yourself have convinced me over the years that it is a skill I should learn. I could make clothing that actually fits, and I could make more unique clothing without paying unique clothing prices. It takes time, but I have found the work both therapeutic and rewarding even when I was really just beginning and struggling to make a pillow.

I decided it was time to get back out the sewing supplies and see how I might continue to grow my sewing skills.

This is going to be one of my more complicated experiments so far, but stick with it! You may decide to try something new, and may even find a skill that you enjoy and never knew you were capable of.

A Note on My Sewing Skill

Though I have done some sewing, this is still an experiment. I can't brag about my sewing skills in any way. My grandmother taught me what she could during a summer or two home before she passed away, leaving me with a very small repertoire of sewing skills, and the sewing machine. I was the only one in the family with any desire to sew, so I inherited the sewing supplies. The few things I have made so far have been extraordinarily simple: sewing in a straight line (pillows, for example) or items that hide flaws very easily. I've made about five items in my sewing career. Just this summer I made myself a round, poncho style beach cover up with pom pom trim. It also hides mistakes easily. It's unique, and it cost me less than 15 dollars by the time it was finished.

I ordered two different fabrics when I made that beach cover up, and decided it was time to decide what to do with the fabric that I did not use then. Finding skirts that fit me properly is a long-running problem, so I decided that it was time that I make my own.

Some Brief Notes on the Experiment:

  1. I have a sewing machine, but I will not be using it for this experiment. I am assuming that not everyone will, and I want to test how long it will take without one. I also happen to like sewing without the machine. Some people like knitting. I like hand stitching. The dog and the machine also don't get along. 
  2. I am exclusively using the back stitch. There are other stitches with different uses and appearances; for those of you who have little to no experience though (and for my own sake), I'm going to keep it simple. More on the back stitch and other types later. 
  3. Don't forget, I'm still not that experienced myself. Making this will be a pretty big accomplishment for me. Do not consider any of this to be expert advice, but rather the adventures and encouragement of a beginner who has only a bit of "formal education" in sewing. 
  4. For a pillow experiment (straight lines only) check back next week. I have one in the works right now. 

Materials Needed: 

  • Fabric: I am using a knit fabric because I am making a casual skirt. 
  • Pattern
  • Sewing Pins
  • A sewing needle 
  • Thread to match your fabric
  • Patience and willingness to make mistakes and keep trying (I'm only half joking)
  • A good work space: a large table or counter top, for instance. If all else fails, I have cut fabric on the floor before. 

The Project

Step One: Find Pattern and Fabric 

I looked for a simple pattern, and chose just a skirt along the lines of a circle skirt, but not quite so full, and with a wide, stretchy waistband. My waistband is made out of fabric, because one of my criteria was that there should be no elastic. I hate sewing with elastic. I've done it once, and I struggled to get it right. I'll try it again one day, but I won't do that to you here.

Here's what I turned to: The Everyday Skirt

A note on patterns: Make sure you account for your own size when selecting a pattern. Some patterns come in sizes, and some free ones you find on the Internet only come in one size.

A note on fabrics: Most patterns are suited to a certain range of fabrics, so make sure that they match as well. I like to work with knits when I am practicing (I don't mean like a sweater. I mean like a jersey knit- dresses and shirts are made out of it). My pattern is for knit fabrics.

Knits have their own set of difficulties (they stretch), but they tend to come in fun prints and work with simple, loose, and casual patterns, all of which come together to hide small mistakes and flaws. They also don't fray, so you don't have to do quite so much work on the seams, and the stretch also means knit clothes don't have to be so perfectly fitted. At least, that is my experience of them.

Step Two: Prepare Fabric

Grammie told me to always wash and dry the fabric before you use it so that it shrinks in whatever way it will before you sew with it.

Step Three: Cut Fabric


Now that I have dry fabric, I apply the pattern and cut it.

I'm going to leave any specifics to the tutorial. I'm describing the experience of following the tutorials!

Here's my tips, though:
  • If you are completely new to this and aren't using the pattern I used, use an online tutorial. These give more thorough and clear directions than patterns you buy at the store do, and you can find really good free ones. 
  • Make sure you pin the pattern to the fabric. 
Eddie goes for and successfully grabs the fabric: Eddie-1, Me-0

You can complete Steps One-Three in the amount of time it takes to wash and dry a load of laundry plus about 15-30 minutes.

The only obstacle I encountered here was a dog who kept trying to grab the fabric off the table.

Step Four: Sew

I thread the needle, and tie off the end by wrapping the thread in a loop around my index finger and pushing it off with my thumb. It forms a twisted circle of thread, which I pull tight as it slips off my index finger.

Follow the directions on your pattern.  I am working with no machine, so I am sewing with a back stitch. Grammie made me practice sewing these in a straight line endlessly.

(I still don't sew a straight line very well because I don't work carefully enough. That's our secret, okay?)

This is the back stitch in progress. Note that the needle goes
through the fabric on the front end of the stitch, loops back
make the stitch, then comes up again at the font of the next
stitch, leaving a stitch length gap to be filled in.

The directions will be best left to someone with good pictures. So, you can find more thorough directions here: Back stitch

Some Tips:
  • Make sure to stretch the fabric as you sew with a stretch knit so that the thread is able to stretch with the fabric later. Otherwise, it will snap.
  • A tip from an impatient hand sewer (cough...me...cough cough): Don't use too much thread at a time. It will tangle. 
  • Another tip, this time from Grammie: Lightly rest a finger on the thread as you pull it through. It helps stop the tangling thread problem. 
There are other stitches that you can use with other purposes. You can, for instance, mostly make the hem invisible. For some examples of other types of stitches, check this out: 5 ways to hand stitch a hem.

Step Four would take me about 1-2 hours on the machine, and 5+ hand stitching (which, again, I do primarily while watching or listening to TV or movies, often in the evening).

Step Five: Iron the Seams and Hem

To finish any garment, Grammie told me you have to press it. Ironing makes the piece look well finished. Press the seams towards the back of the skirt, and press the hem nice and flat. I skipped the hem tape because I don't have any on hand. If I was making something I needed to look professional, I would get that hem tape.

Project Complete!

What Does This Project Really Take?

That is the question here, really. 

Time:

You're looking at anywhere from 2-3 hours with a machine, to several hours over several evenings without a machine. I think I was on this project about 8 hours with no machine and plenty of distraction and dealing with tangled thread (my own fault). I also had Eddie running around getting in to trouble, and people to talk to, and other things that paused my work. That's part of the process for me. 

Cost

I don't remember how much this fabric cost, but it was an inexpensive one (in other words, great for a beginner because there is little money to be lost over a failed attempt). I bought two yards and have maybe half of the fabric left over (though I'll have to be creative with it). 
I estimate that this is about a $10.00 skirt. 

Final Assessment

Whether or not a project like this is worth it for you will really depend on if you decide you are interested in and like sewing or not, and if you have the time to dedicate to it. I am still learning, and I love it. Sewing is becoming a hobby for me. It is, conveniently, a hobby which can allow me to save some money here and there, and I get a lot of joy from the creation process of taking a rectangle of fabric and turning it into something.

You will have to decide for yourself! I encourage you to try sewing at least once though, even if just to make a pillow. That's my next sewing project. I'll be turning an old dress into a pillow. Pillows are much easier than skirts, so check back next week for that one if this has interested you but you want to start with straight lines. 

You can also take classes. I haven't taken any because I did not have time to do so until just a few months ago. That may be in my future if I keep enjoying making easy things. 



Comments