Experiment #5, Part 1: Making Your Own Salsa

Today I am tackling making my own salsa and tortillas. We got a whole lot of tomatoes from relatives, and steak was on sale. It was time for a treat, so I'm preparing these items to be part of a delicious dinner.

To skip the adventure of making tortillas, click here.

Here's the recipe I'm following: Pico de Gallo

Step One:15 minutes 
Chop up tomatoes, onions, and peppers (if you want them, which I didn't) 
This took about 15 minutes with the inevitable dog interruptions and the fact that I got distracted by other projects and had to periodically stop Eddie from chewing on the rug. I also had to dash away a few times because the onions nearly made my eyes catch on fire.


Step Two: 10 minutes
Combine all ingredients in food processor
I washed the cilantro, chopped it up, and got out and assembled the food processor. Then I added everything into it and pulsed it a few times, as the recipe said.




Step Three: 3 minutes
Taste Test! 
I tried the salsa out and decided that it needed more tomatoes, because it was too oniony. I also love tomatoes.

All done!


So, was it worth it?

Time Spent: About 25 minutes for washing, chopping, assembling, food processing, and various distractions.

Difficulty Level: Very Easy

The Competition:
Fresh salsa, from the refrigerated section, 16 oz: $3.99
Salsa in a jar, brand name,16 oz: $3.79
Salsa in a jar, store brand, 16 oz: $1.99

Price:
Tomatoes: Free! At the store, about $1.49 per pound
Red Onion: $1.21 for 1/2 pound, bought on sale; $0.61 for half
Cilantro: $1.49 for one bunch, on sale from $1.69; 1/3 of bunch, $0.49
Lime Juice: $1.49 for 4 fl ounces; For an estimated one-two teaspoons, about $0.25-$0.50
Cumin: 4.99 for 0.75 oz; a pinch? some number of cents
Salt and Pepper: also hard to measure. Some number of cents.
I skipped the oregano

Total Price:  about $1.60
I added on $0.20 to account for the cumin and the salt and pepper.
Paying for the tomatoes as well would bring this up to $3.09 or slightly higher if the ingredients are not bought at sale prices. 

Final Assessment: 

This was definitely worthwhile to get fresh salsa. It did not take long (and I could have gone a lot faster, probably). It was very fresh, unlike the jar, and still better than what you can buy in the refrigerated section as well. I am filing this one away to make again, although I might make it with more tomato and less onion.

Now, onto the tortillas!





Comments