An Impromptu Experiment: Banana Bread French Toast

I was going to go to the grocery store yesterday, but...

Isn't that often how we end up with nothing left in the kitchen except peanut butter and pancake mix? I always know I'm really in trouble when both of those containers are empty.

Let me finish the first sentence. I was going to go to the grocery store yesterday BUT it was raining all day, and I usually walk to the store. It was also less than 70 degrees, which to a native Floridian during summertime is along the lines of taking a step out onto the Arctic Tundra.

In short, I did not go to the grocery store.

Actually, I hadn't gone to the store the day before either, and I had an even worse reason...no reason. I can't come up with any plausible excuse for that one.

I am, however, a former college student and thus an accomplished food scrounger. When the pantry is empty, you find any way you can to extend its life just one day longer. Just one more day. And another. And another. Usually these methods require peanut butter, or pancake mix. Maybe eggs, if you are lucky.

I was left having to use these old skills the last two nights for dinner, because I didn't want to get wet walking to the store. Or, really, I just didn't want to go to the store. I set about digging through the fridge and cabinets to figure out what I had that could possibly go together to make a meal.

When I opened the freezer I knew I had struck food-scrounging grocery-trip-avoiding gold. There was a loaf of banana bread that I had made a few weeks before. This was Grammie's Banana Bread (you'll remember Grammie from my skirt sewing adventures, perhaps), a recipe famous for making hearts happy in the family for decades (I don't think I'm exaggerating). It makes two loafs. My husband and I can't eat them both at once, so we usually freeze one.

I pulled this loaf out of the freezer as another idea struck me. What if I could combine this banana bread with the milk and the two eggs left in the fridge to make Banana Bread French Toast?

I hurried over to the computer and asked the Internet about this. It produced a few recipes. I'll give the summary of them here. Do whatever you do to make French Toast (milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract) and rather than dipping bread into the mixture, dip in banana bread. Then cook it in the skillet for a few minutes on each side, cover in maple syrup and eat.



I did indeed strike gold in my avoidance of the grocery store.

If your family doesn't have a banana bread recipe, you can find plenty of them online. Ours doesn't use any chocolate or nuts. I also just save overripe bananas in the freezer until I have enough to make bread. You'll need about 4-5 bananas. When they get a lot of brown speckles, they're ready. Peel and freeze them if you aren't going to use them right away.

I hope you may enjoy this new surprise discovery as well.



Comments